Little Chem Chem
Tarangire National Park
Little Chem Chem
All your senses come alive and you know this is Big Game country. It’s the scent in the breeze, the roar in the night, the padded paw-print in the sand - the wildness is all around you. Little Chem Chem – also known as “sunrise camp” - offers the raw drama of the East African bush in a very private setting. This gem, on a 16 000ha exclusive concession, adjoins the Tarangire National Park, famous for its towering baobabs, and overlooks the serene Lake Burunge.
A handful of luxury vintage tents guarantee an intimate experience with this untamed land. Unfenced territory sees animals move through the camp. Game drives on open-air safari vehicles offer unforgettable moments: watch cheetah sprint across the savannah; observe elephants herds on the move; thrill at the rare sight of tree-climbing lions. Where there is water there is birdlife. See how Lake Burunge settles into stillness at sunset, your binoculars at the ready as you sip a sundowner.
Lodge HighlightsWhen to go
All Year Round Price
From $870 pp All Inclusive Highlights
Impressive Tarangire Wildlife and Birdlife Ideal Stay
Minimum 5 Nights
Little Chem Chem Booking Seasons
Stay at Little Chem Chem
Known as 'The Sunrise Camp', Little Chem Chem is a vintage style, luxury camp situated in a private concession next to Tarangire surrounded by impressive baobab trees. With six spacious tented rooms, it is perfect for an authentic safari experience.
Little Chem Chem overlooks Lake Burunge and the Babati Mountain Range provides a spectacular backdrop to the South-West. The vintage style tents are spacious and comfortable with a separate vanity area and dressing room and an en suite bathroom. There is also a family tent with two ensuite bedrooms.
The décor is authentic and elegant, epitomising a traditional safari camp with all the modern luxuries to make for a comfortable relaxing experience. From the comfort of your own tent, you can sit and watch the world go by as the elephants, cheetah and other wildlife come to the lake to drink and at night, you can hear the lions roaring to one another. Little Chem Chem has a host of safari based activities and is in the ideal setting for fantastic walking safaris. There are day and night game drives and private picnics in the bush and hot air balloon safaris can be organised at an additional cost.
Accommodation at Little Chem Chem
There are six tents at Little Chem Chem, three of the tents have king size beds, two with two twin beds and one family tent. There is also a camp bed available which can be put into any of the rooms as an extra bed for a child aged 10 years or over. There is an en-suite bathroom with traditional bucket showers with hot water. Each tent has their own outdoor fireplace for the cooler evenings. The family tent comprises two ensuite bedrooms and a lovely shared lounge area. Children over the age of 8 years are welcome in the family tent.
Children aged 10 years and over welcome at Little Chem Chem and children under 12 are required to share a room with an adult. If staying in the family tent, children aged 8 years and over are welcome.
The main mess tent at Little Chem Chem is where most of the meals are served although guests can opt to dine privately outside around a campfire. Every morning, breakfast is delivered to your tent and this can be taken in the tent or outside by the fire. The main mess tent is very comfortable and perfect for spending the afternoon relaxing with a book and watching the world go by.
Experience Little Chem Chem
Little Chem Chem is equally as charming in both the dry and the wet season. The dry season takes place between June and October and it is the perfect time to watch the animals gather at the watering holes and the lake. The wet season takes place between December and March and it is a perfect time to see the wildebeest and zebras calving, with this comes the big cats as well. It is also the ideal season for any bird watching fanatics as the millions of flamingo migrate to Lake Manyara.
Sharing 16,000 hectares with a maximum of only ten other guests really does make Little Chem Chem a unique safari experience where one can slow down and unwind at their own pace.
Game drives are of course the main activity that take place at Little Chem Chem and guests can also enjoy a sunrise safari, stopping for tea and biscuits as the sun rises over the Tarangire National Park. As the campsite is in a private reserve, you can go on day and night game drives in the open 4x4 vehicles. Little Chem Chem is also ideal for walking safaris and has fantastic bird watching, the expert guides at Little Chem Chem are more than happy to share their knowledge and experiences with guests. Hot Air Balloon safaris and private picnic lunches can also be organised at an additional cost.
Things to do at Little Chem Chem
- Flamingo watching - Lake Manyara: Harder to predict than the Great Migration, the Flamingo migration is equally incredible to witness as they descend on Lake Manyara in their thousands. An amazing photo opportunity or simply the chance to witness these spectacular birds in their element.
- Game Drives - Lake Manyara:Lake Manyara is a tiny gem of a national park in Northern Tanzania, famed in particular for its flamingos. Go on game drives here in search of tree-climbing lions, elephants, waterbuck and hippos.
- Hot air balloon - Tarangire National Park: Take a hot air balloon ride at sunrise over the Tarangire National Park for a totally unique experience that will make your trip that bit more memorable as you look down on the bush from above whilst the sun rises.
- Hot air balloon - lake manyara: For an entirely unique view of the beautiful Lake Manyara National Park, get up before the day is quite born and hop aboard a hot air balloon to rise up with the sun and soar over the wakening bush.
- Walking safari from Lamai: Lamai is one of very few camps in the Serengeti which is permitted to offer walking safaris. This is a superb way to explore this rugged area, setting off on foot from the camp in the morning light.
- Wildlife in the Tarangire: Tarangire is second only to the Serengeti for the concentration of game. It's an area of big breeding herds of elephant and buffalo. Huge baobabs provide shade for sleeping lion and night drives give the opportunity to see elusive leopard on the prowl.
Select Tour Ideas
A selection of tour itineraries to showcase what you can do. We encourage you to pick destinations of interest and we custom-make your safari to give you a more personalized experience.
7 Days Big Game Experience
Sasaab Lodge, Samburu | Lewa Wilderness Lodge, Laikipia | Rekero Camp, Maasai Mara
7 Days Intrepid Tanzania
Nomad Chada Katavi Camp, Chada Katavi National Park | Greystoke Mahale, Mahale National Park
7 Days Ultimate Family Experience
Giraffe Manor, Nairobi | Campi ya Kanzi, Chyulu Hills | Olare Mara Kempinski, Maasai Mara
8 Days Migration Experience
Rekero Camp, Masai Mara Game Reserve | Lamai Camp, Serengeti National Park
8 Days Ultimate Bush and Beach
Mara Bush Tops, Masai Mara Game Reserve | Matemwe Beach House, Zanzibar
East Africa Top Luxury Destinations
Kenya epitomizes the safari destination with its big game, big skies, close-up bush encounters with the Big Five and ringside tickets to one of the wonders of the natural world, the annual wildebeest migration.
A bountiful land teeming with African wildlife, flourishing ecosystems and remarkable mountain ranges, Tanzania will forever be imprinted on your heart.