Satao Elerai Camp
Amboseli National Park
Satao Elerai Camp
Satao Elerai Camp is located in a quiet, unspoilt, unique setting on a 5000 acre private conservation area 12 kms south east of Amboseli National Park at the foot of Africa’s Largest mountain, Mt Kilimanjaro. The camp looks down onto the Amboseli National Park in one direction and up to Mt Kilimanjaro in the other direction, giving clients what is arguably the best location of any camp in Amboseli.
The camp currently has 12 luxury en suite mountain facing tents and 5 large luxurious lodge style suites. Both the tents and the suites are en suite with the suites also having luxurious baths. The facilities are supplied with hot running water provided by eco friendly solar units.
Lodge HighlightsWhen to go
All Year Round Price
From $320 pp All Inclusive Highlights
True Pristine Wilderness Ideal Stay
Minimum 5 Nights
Satao Elerai Camp Booking Seasons
Stay at Satao Elerai Camp
One of the biggest advantages of Satao Elerai Camp is that being located on its own private conservation area clients have the chance to view wildlife in private surroundings. In addition we also offer clients the chance to enjoy spectacular bush sundowners, night game drives and game walks on the conservancy, activities that are not available to the lodges located within the park.
The Satao Elerai project is a community project that has been along time in the making. The project has been a concerted effort between the Satao Elerai, The African Wildlife Foundation and The Elerai community. The concept is to provide a sustainable income from tourism for the Masai community in the area and to try and ensure that it is in the communities interest to protect the wildlife for generations to come. Amboseli has been a location where human-wildlife conflict has been an issue for many years, and it is projects like these that can over time ensure that communities start to benefit from wildlife and to ensure they invest in protecting and securing their future for their own benefit.
At Satao Elerai Camp
Satao Elerai’s central areas are built around a group of giant boulders, into which the swimming pool, reception area, terrace and main bar and dining areas have been nicely integrated. From the hotel-like reception area, you cross a short bridge over a landscaped fish pond, where rushes grow and weaver birds nest, to the bar (which stays open as long as guests want to order drinks) and split-level lounge and dining room, with an upper, observation floor with comfy seating.
The rooms at Satao Elerai Camp were built and designed to ensure that your stay will be in complete luxury. Huge beds with top quality mattresses and pillows and a large luxurious duvet ensure that you will sleep through the night in total comfort. Large sliding doors open out onto your own private verandah overlooking the plains below and Amboseli National Park. Each room has its own bathroom with a view, designed using natural rock and acacia wood the bathrooms have a design and feel unique to Elerai.
Dinners at Satao Elerai Camp are served a la carte. Using locally grown vegetables and fruit our chefs prepare a wide variety of dishes to suit all tastes. On a clear night tables are set out on the terrace where clients can enjoy a meal under the stars. Regularly the Mountain will be clear early evening and can be seen lit up by the moon from your dinner table. If you have any special requests for meals please let us know in advance and our chefs would be happy to meet your requirements.”
At Satao Elerai Camp
In the 40km2 private Elerai Conservation Area a little south-east of Amboseli National Park, and on a slight elevation above the surrounding landscape, Satao Elerai Camp, opened in 2007, is the closest camp to the peaks of Kilimanjaro and offers a combination of great views, good game-watching and access both to its own conservancy and to the national park.
Unsurpassed views in every direction, coupled with a truly unique camp designed and built from local materials, gives the discerning traveler the chance to experience the flavour’s and romance of real Africa at its very best. Satao Elerai aims to ensure that all its clients not only receive the perfect safari, but also experience a level of comfort and luxury that would be difficult to find elsewhere in Africa.
Satao Elerai is located in a quiet, unspoilt, unique setting on a 5000 acre private conservation area 10km’s south east of Amboseli National Park on the foot of Africa’s largest mountain, Mt Kilimanjaro. Our land is leased from the local Elerai Maasai community and together we help protect this land from poachers, charcoal burners and encroachment from agriculture and development.
Things to do at Satao Elerai Camp
- During your stay at Satao Elerai you have the option to either enjoy game drives in Amboseli National Park or on the Elerai Conservation area. Amboseli National Park offers the amazing Amboseli swamps with the large herds of elephants and buffalos and the unique aquatic bird species. In contract Elerai conservation area offers grass plains and acacia woodland forest which are home to the large elephant bulls, many giraffe and eland and a host of amazing bird life.
- A trip to the Elerai Masai community allows you to experience an authentic Masai experience. Our trips allow you to see the Masai as they live traditionally and not under false circumstances.
- Elerai Conservation area is one of the best game walking areas in Kenya with several different options for walks including several walks in the nearby river gorge.
- A sundowner with Kilimanjaro as the backdrop is something not to be missed. Few locations offer such an amazing chance to take that ideal Africa sunset picture with the bonus of Kilimanjaro in the background.
- Few places offer the opportunity to see the nocturnal wildlife of Africa. Night game drives give you the opportunity to see Serval Cats, Genet Cats, Civet Cats, Ardwolfs, Owls, Bush babies and many other beautiful species that roam the bush at night.
- Amboseli offers one of the most amazing locations to do a Balloon safari. With Mt Kilimanjaro as a back drop and the Amboseli swamps and elephants completing the landscape below this is something everyone should try and include during their time at Satao Elerai.
Select Tour Ideas
A selection of tour itineraries to showcase what you can do. We encourage you to pick destinations of interest and we custom-make your safari to give you a more personalized experience.
7 Days Big Game Experience
Sasaab Lodge, Samburu | Lewa Wilderness Lodge, Laikipia | Rekero Camp, Maasai Mara
7 Days Intrepid Tanzania
Nomad Chada Katavi Camp, Chada Katavi National Park | Greystoke Mahale, Mahale National Park
7 Days Ultimate Family Experience
Giraffe Manor, Nairobi | Campi ya Kanzi, Chyulu Hills | Olare Mara Kempinski, Maasai Mara
8 Days Migration Experience
Rekero Camp, Masai Mara Game Reserve | Lamai Camp, Serengeti National Park
8 Days Ultimate Bush and Beach
Mara Bush Tops, Masai Mara Game Reserve | Matemwe Beach House, Zanzibar
East Africa Top Luxury Destinations
Kenya epitomizes the safari destination with its big game, big skies, close-up bush encounters with the Big Five and ringside tickets to one of the wonders of the natural world, the annual wildebeest migration.
A bountiful land teeming with African wildlife, flourishing ecosystems and remarkable mountain ranges, Tanzania will forever be imprinted on your heart.